Tuesday 24 June 2014

Blogspot, you drive me crazy.

When I started out with this blog, it was an easy way to keep track of the blogs I follow (quite a list, actually) and post. Including the possibility to schedule pre-written posts.

Then, a good while ago by now, hitting that "publish" button did not always work. You might remember a few posts coming up belatedly, or a day late, if you are a regular reader here. In these cases, there was usually a notice saying "An error occurred while trying to save or publish your post. Please try again." but not always. No notice, no re-try. No re-try, no published post. But well, that's something I could live with. The worst... it's yet to come.

Over time, I have come to rely on the reading list of the blogs I follow showing up the newest posts of each blog, so I'd scroll through and see very quickly who had posted about what, and whether I might want to click over there and read the full piece. From time to time, this list appeared empty, which was fixed upon reloading. No pain.

For the last 4 or 5 days, though, I get to see one post. One. And clicking the "view more" at the bottom does... nothing. This irks me, and makes me wonder whether it might be time to look for another blogging solution. (The list of other blogs is one of my very cherished and valuable resources to find something bloggable on days when I have nothing bloggable on hand, and it saved me many a time. So it's not just a little convenience - it has grown to be a blogging tool for me.)

I won't be looking into it right away, though - there are two papers to finish, and other stuff to plan and prepare (the next market, for instance). Plus the weather here is making me sleepy. (The cat taking her morning nap RIGHT BESIDE ME does not help at all, by the way. Couldn't she channel my sleepiness and just nap it away for me, too? She stubbornly refuses to do that. Something about having to get her own 12 hours of nap-time in per day or so, I suppose.)

6 comments:

Cathy Raymond said...

I've been having the same problems with Blogger. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that, either.

Ellie said...

If you're wanting to track new blog posts, you might like to try an RSS reader. I use bloglovin.com, but there are other options out there.

Good luck!

standgale said...

Same problem. Just looked it up, apparently the people at blogger are looking into it and trying to fix it.

a stitch in time said...

Thanks for your comments, all of you! Good to hear that the blogger teams are looking into it... and I might try an rss reader if the issue won't clear up soon.

Agi said...

I left blogger a long time ago since it really is too limited. Wordpress is so much better for blogging! As for reading I like to use RSS readers, especially "netvibes" who has similar functions to the Google reader, you can add or delete blogs easily and it is a very nice way to keep track of all your blogs and/or news.

Phiala said...

I agree with the RSS reader suggestions. I use Feedly, but there are (obviously) many good options.