Wednesday 27 May 2009

What's this with conference deadlines?

The deadline for the Textilforum Call for Papers is officially over. But... there are still places left. We have planned for 50 persons staying in at the museum (and I do think it's a good deal, even if you have to bring your own bedding), and I had thought that we would have no problem filling these places. Heck, there have been so many positive comments all over, I was sure we'd have no problem.

I know that it is a common thing to extend conference CfP deadlines, and I also know that I'm one of those people registering in the last week before deadline (or even on the last day). And that it can happen that I miss a deadline, too. So we'll extend our deadline to fill some more of the places.

However, I'm wondering why there have been so few registrees. Is it my fault? Has the wording been bad? Is the participant questionnaire too hard to find? Does it sound as if we don't want people to come? Maybe it sounds as if you have to give a paper or bring a poster or else you can't come? While we appreciate paper/poster offers, these are no absolute requirement. So if you are an archaeologist, conservator, hand weaver, hand spinner, historical textile person and have an interest in historical textile techniques, come join us! And we still need spinners for our experiment, too - so if you are a handspinner and would like to participate in the spinning experiment, do fill out the questionnaire and come have fun doing science!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that people check the website, see the call for papers and think that there will be another questionnaire after the programm is published. I can imagine that they will want to know who or what to expect before they decide to go to a "week long" event that seems to have hardly a program for the daytime. ;^)

Harma (who did register.)

Arachne said...

Deadlines... I think I managed to register about 12 minutes to midnight on the 25th, so I did make it! :-)

I do think some people might have thought they needed to give a paper. When someone posted about the Textilforum on a Swedish spinning list one reaction was a bit like "isn't that just for people with a project about historical textiles?"

/Vix, who's practising spinning evenly at least an hour a day!

A Life Long Scholar said...

Some of us simply can't know this far in advance if it will be possible to attend...

a stitch in time said...

Thanks for your input! Yes, I can see the problems with planning ahead so far, and I can also see why registering without knowing what to expect feels very adventurous.
We have scheduled the Call for Papers so early to have time enough for putting together the programme; and the Call was primarily intended for both experiment participants and people wanting to present their research/project/work (so we can make our programme from this). I guess I'll have to use a bit different wording next time around...