Friday 5 October 2012

There, something happened.

As usual, there was the discussion in Tannenberg. You know the one. The one about pricing of goods and services in the historical crafts sector.

I've had this discussion so often now that sometimes I fail to fire up, but most of the times I still get going and tell people what I think. (You can read what I think - I have posted a series about fair prices in crafts a while ago, the link is in the sidebar.)

Sabine of the Wollschmiede and I have been preaching this for a few years now, and at some unknown point during this time started to half-jokingly refer to us as frontpersons of the "Liga gegen Selbstausbeutung im historischen Handwerk" (League against economic self exploitation in historical crafts). Well, we actually started out referring to the textile crafts, but it soon became clear it's not limited to this (even though there's more to that specific minefield).
In Tannenberg, I made the joke again, within hearing of a few more friends and colleagues - and they loved the concept. I was promptly told that yes, they'd join the League, and a logo was needed.

So from all this, a facebook page has come into being, and there's a logo free for everyone declaring him- or herself a member or supporter, to copy (using any materials and tools and technique) and display at the sales table, the stall or wherever else.

We hope to help with the discussion of fair wages for historical crafts with this, and I hope it will enable more crafters to actually charge a proper, living wage for their professional work - and keep some hobbyists from breaking prices because they are "just doing it for fun". After all, it's even more fun if you get respect for the work, and paying a fair price is one form of showing respect.

1 comment:

tanya said...

having grown up in a household that gained its income from handwork, I grew to see thsoe who charge belittling prices as extremely stupid. They insult those trying to make a living by undercutting them and taking bread from thier mouths, they insult themselves by saying their skills are ot worthwhile, and they insult the customers by proving they are often not smart enough to tell the difference between quality and crap.

And that is one of the biggest problems, a lot of customers really can't tell the difference between rubbish and quality. If someone looks at my (fine thread count, single ply pure wool) tablet weaving, and says they can get it cheaper from XXX(synthetic four ply knitting wool)I tell them to F*** off and buy it and they'll get what they pay for