Wednesday 29 June 2011

Back home.

I have returned from an amazing and wonderful week in Spain, and I'm still a bit Spain-lagged. That's like jetlag, only different - Spain is technically a different time zone from Germany (about one hour earlier than here), plus we are on that daylight saving time stuff - so it feels as if it's hours earlier than the clock shows. Then the Spanish have the habit of doin a Siesta during the hotest time of the day (very smart) and then, instead, stay up very late. It was not unusual to see small children, wide awake, playing outside at 11 pm.

We spent the week doing lots of touristy things, and I took lots and lots of photos - quite a few of them like these:





(If anybody knows what those flowers are called, I'd be happy to know!)


So now I have to re-adapt to German timetables (and from the time this blog post is published, you can see that I was not doing brillantly today). At least we're not freezing here, it's about as warm as in Spain here...

3 comments:

'nora said...

The first flower is an Agapanthus, commonly called African lily or lily of the Nile in English. The second I think is an Osteospermum, commonly known as African daisy or Cape daisy in English. I'm not sure what the German common names would be. Both plants are pretty common in American garden centres.

a stitch in time said...

Thank you, 'nora - that was really fast help! German common name for the Agapanthus is Schmucklilie (decorative lily), and the Osteospermum is called Kapmargerite (the equivalent to cape daisy). And both are not hardy enough for the climate here - good to know, since I brought some seeds of the Osteospermum...

'nora said...

Glad to help -- I love gardening almost as much as I love textiles! the Osteospermum are usually used as annuals around here (Washington DC area) -- planted for summer colour and then allowed to die off over the winter. I've seen Agapanthus in plantings here but never tried to grow it myself.