Wednesday 4 February 2009

I'm plugging now. Shamelessly.

I have fulfilled a dream by continuing research after my master's degree at Uni Bamberg. And, of course, I chose medieval garments as my topic. It took me a while, but I am very happy with the outcome (and eternally grateful to my parents, who were incredibly helpful when any obstacles turned up).

I have since successfully finished and defended my phd thesis "Konstruktion und Nähtechnik mittelalterlicher weltlicher Kleidung" (Construction and sewing techniques of secular medieval garments) in Summer 2008. The thesis is a comprehensive survey of extant medieval garments with analysis of cutting, construction development and sewing techniques.

It is written in German with an English summary; you can get more information (in German too) about the volume and the topics covered on my website. I have already found a wonderful publisher for the book, and publication is being prepared. However, two obstacles are left to overcome: Get funding for the costs of the print run, and determining the right number of copies to print.

Since it will take at least eight months until the book can be released - a long wait for you and me - and it is very hard to evaluate how many people will be interested - a problem for the publishing house and me - I am offering subscription to a newsletter that will hopefully help us all (and me even twice):
I will be sending a short newsflash whenever a step in the publishing process is finished, keeping you up to date.
You will know at once when the book can be pre-ordered, which means no delay for you in getting the book delivered.

In return, having a number of seriously interested people on the newsletter list will help me negotiating with the publishing house and my editor and me in determining the number of copies to print. We are aiming for the price range 60-80 Euro for the book (hardcover with b/w illustration and coloured plates).

If you are interested in getting this book, please subscribe to my newsletter by sending an e-mail with the subject "subscribe" to infoletter@pallia.net.

And if you are not interested in the book, but know somebody who might be, you can do me a huge favor by telling them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a bit of info: I was born in FurthimWald
and have attended Cave Gladium many times. As a
matter of fact my cousin was one of the original
starters of this week long fest. It is so much
fun and would keep growing if they had the space.
I also have a cousin who designs the clothing and
just has a terrific talent. She puts herself into this era. How much will your book cost?

a stitch in time said...

Hi there, yes, Cave is very very much fun!
The book will cost 60 Euro - we managed to keep low in the price range : )