Friday 8 May 2009

Why is time running faster and faster?

I have a huge backlog of things that I'd like to blog about, but most of them need a bit more than 20 or so minutes for a quick blog. And somehow it really feels as if time is going faster and faster each year (or each month, even) - must be me getting old.

I remember reading once that the subjective feel of time is really, really slow when you are young, so the time perception "middle of life" is about the twentieth year of life. That sort of explains why six weeks of summer holiday in childhood seemed like an eternity, but six weeks nowadays are so short. Hrmph.

I have a fresh to-do-list lying here, I've managed to cross some things off yesterday, but one of them is "finish, proofread and send off a paper" and that will probably take at least until Monday afternoon. The paper is a spin-off from my thesis and is mostly about the possibilities the experiments with garments offer - a more in-depth look at these compared to the thesis part, with some additional aspects. So I'm off to the text editor.

2 comments:

A Life Long Scholar said...

My personal observations agree with the changes to time perception with age, and I'm still reasonably young. Given everything on my 'to do' list for the month, I could use that extra time from when I was a child. However, as I recall, that time was spent having fun doing kid things, and I wouldn't trade it for the world, no matter how behind schedule I am now.

a stitch in time said...

I agree - after all, I wouldn't want to steal a child any time off those ages and ages of summer holidays...